Like this Recipe
This drink is tiki through and through – boozy, tropical, spicy and refreshing. I wanted to make a drink utilizing rye whiskey’s spice and implementing it for all things exotic and tiki.
¾ oz Old Forester 100 Proof Rye Whiskey
¾ oz Lemon Hart Spiced Rum
¾ oz Fresh Lime Juice
½ oz Grenadine *
½ oz Don’s Mix *
¼ oz Falernum *
1 tsp Swedish Punsch
3 sprays Absinthe
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
Frappe (shake with crushed/pebble/sonic ice) all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and dump contents into a chilled large goblet or a chilled Double Old Fashioned glass and top with more crushed ice.
Garnish with a Mint Sprig and an Orange Peel/Cherry flag.
Combine 500 mL Pomegranate Juice and 500 g Granulated Cane Sugar until all of the sugar is completely dissolved.
Add: 4.00 oz Pomegranate Molasses and 0.25 tsp of Orange Flower Water, stir to incorporate.
Combine 1.75 parts Pink/Ruby Grapefruit Juice & 0.25 parts Lime Juice (= 2 whole parts) or 2 parts of White Grapefruit Juice.
Add 1 part Cinnamon Syrup, stir to incorporate.
Falernum – John D. Taylor Falernum is okay, but homemade is superior
- 10 oz. Neisson Rhum ESB (any Rhum ESB should do), 1 oz. Hamilton 151 (El Dorado if you can find it), 1 oz. Wray & Nephew Overproof, Zest of 15 Limes, 50 g of peeled and chopped Ginger, 25 Almonds, 1 crushed Nutmeg, 100 Cloves, 50 All-Spice Berries, 2 Star Anise, 450 mL Rich Cane Syrup, 3.5 oz. Lime Juice, 1 oz. Lemon Juice.
1. Spread the Almonds over a medium baking sheet.
2. Roast the Almonds for 8–10 minutes at 350º (you're looking for a slight toast and aromatic.)
3. Transfer the Almonds to a vacuum bag.
4. Toast Nutmeg, Cloves, All-Spice Berries and Star Anise in a pan until aromatic then transfer to the vacuum bag.
5. Add the Rum, Lime zest, Ginger to the vacuum bag and seal and allow to steep for 24 Hours.
6. Line a Fine Mesh Sieve with a Grease Filter to strain, then press and measure.
6a. Soak and wring out a Flour Sack Towel and fold in half and line it in a Fine Mesh Sieve to strain, then press and measure.
7. Add the Rich Cane Syrup, Lime and Lemon Juice to mixture.